November is fast approaching! For many of us that means preparing for Thanksgiving and bracing ourselves for winter (yes, that was a Game of Thrones reference). For thousands of writers nationwide, November means one thing and one thing only: National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). During this month-long event, participants write like crazy trying to reach the 50,000 word goal. It’s crazy fun, y’all. The website is live, and thousands of people have already signed up to participate this year. Will you be one of them? Or are you still on the fence? Here are some reasons for and against participating in NaNoWriMo to help you make up your mind.
Reasons AGAINST participating in NaNoWriMo:
- NaNoWriMo will distract you from your current project, kill your momentum, and then set you back in the long-run.
- Participating in NaNoWriMo will cause you to abandon all other responsibilities: work, family, and chores.
- The insane word goal will cause you to forgo quality for quantity.
- You intend on completing an entire novel in one month–50k words is NOT a novel. It’s a great start!
- You won’t be writing the rest of the year. Why create a writing habit just to abandon it 30 days later?
- You intend on publishing your novel without any editing whatsoever. Believe it or not, the world does NOT need your novel!
Reasons FOR participating in NaNoWrimo:
- NoWriMo sets a measureable and achievable goal–50k words in one month. Goals help you succeed.
- NaNoWriMo teaches writers how to prioritize their writing and create a writing habit.
- You have a new novel idea you just can’t wait to jump into.
- You haven’t written a word in years and need something exciting to help you break your writer’s block.
- The forums give writers a sense of community.
- Writing quickly is an important skill for all writers. NaNoWriMo teaches you how to do it effectively.
- You plan on continuing your writing career after November.
- NaNoWrimo is fun!!!!
There you go! I hope that helps. But please don’t let me influence your decision one way or the other. The most important reason for or against participating in NaNoWriMo is whether or not you really want to. Don’t let others talk you into participating if you don’t want to, and likewise, don’t let naysayers spoil your fun. Personally, I’ll be participating this year, because I remember NaNoWriMo helping me conquer a severe case of writer’s block several years ago.
If you are looking for writing buddies, seek me out. My username is Kitomi, at least for now. Hope to see you there!