I imagine if you’re reading this post, you’re probably a writer (published or aspiring) who’s interested in knowing whether or not your dreams of becoming rich from your writing are possible. Excuse me while I laugh. Oh, wait. You’re serious? Let me laugh even harder.
Everyone knows that writing books is not profitable. According to statistics (I did not make up) only 30% of books published actually make a profit. The other 70% are lucky to even break even. (sadly, I can attest to that). So, knowing this information, why do we (authors, I mean) keep writing?
The obvious answer is we’re all a little crazy. Don’t bother trying to deny it. Haha! But insanity aside, every writer has their own reason for pursuing publishing. Whether it’s to fulfill a lifelong dream or to impress mom, all reasons are legit–unless you want to make a profit. Haha!
There’s a stigma in the writing community, especially among non-traditionally published authors, that authors who want to make a profit (even a little one) are selfish, unrealistic, and in it for the wrong reasons.
In defense of these authors, I would argue that the cost of production alone justifies wanting to make a profit. I, for one, cannot justify PAYING to publish when I have a mortgage and car payment solely under my name. And heaven forbid an independent author produce anything of lesser quality than a traditionally published worked. Well, editors, formatters, and cover artists don’t work for free. Time’s not cheap, either.
So, I do sympathize with authors who want to make a profit, even a little one. We just want to recoup enough earnings to keep doing what we love. Like an automotive technician or a teacher–you know, people allowed to make an earning doing what they love to do.
We’re not all in it to get rich, but wanting to make money doing what you love doesn’t make you a bad person or a heartless writer. It makes you a responsible person … who probably has bills to pay. Haha!
Now, get back to writing. And please excuse me while I laugh.