We’re halfway through the month of November. And for those of use participating in NaNoWriMo, that means only two more weeks left to reach our word count goal of 50k!
Take it from here, Phantom:
Past the point of no return, no backward glances
Our games of make-believe are at an end
Past all thought of if or when, no use resisting
Abandon thought and let the dream descend
Anyway . . .
For those participants (like me) who are way behind, now might be the time to throw in the towel—I mean, reassess your goals, reorganize your outline, and recharge for the final sprint.
Keep in mind, NaNoWriMo is about more than just word count; it’s about making time for your creative endeavors and developing good writing habits.
Granted, winning is nice, so here’s some advice you might apply in the next few weeks to make the most of your writing time and reach your NaNoWriMo word count goal:
- Make a plan
- Outline the rest of your story
- Plan before each writing session what you’re going to do
- Create your “ideal” conditions
- Make space on your desk, couch, kitchen table, wherever
- Secure silence or play music
- Adjust the thermostat
- Stay home or go to a coffee shop, library, whatever
- Remove distractions
- Put away cell phones
- Turn off the television and/or Netflix
- Avoid social media
- Be upfront with family and friends
- Lock the cat and/or dog in the closet
- Have your writing supplies ready
- Coffee and snacks within arms reach
- Notebooks, pencils, other writing supplies
- Laptop charger
- Notes and/or concept art within sight (consider a tackboard)
- Use the tools you are comfortable with
- Keyboard or paper and pen
- Word Document or Scrivener
- Get in the zone
- Ignore your inner critic
- Don’t get obsessed with word count
- Write the scenes/chapters that inspire you
- Read a scene/chapter before you start
- Don’t check the clock; use a timer
Whether you’ve got one hour to write or three, these tips should help you make the most of your time and reach your NaNoWriMo word count goal! And if you’ve got some tips to add to the list, please share them in the comments below.
Thank you and have a great weekend!